This post is related to the following posts where I give away the source code to many of my Actionscript 2 games (the posts were getting bloated with duplicate content so I’ve removed it and placed it here).
Part 1 – http://pixelpaton.com/?p=5216
Part 2 – http://pixelpaton.com/?p=5238
Part 3 – http://pixelpaton.com/?p=5251
Part 4 – http://pixelpaton.com/?p=5276
Part 5 – http://pixelpaton.com/?p=5352 Ch
- These games are all Flash, written in actionscript 2 & actionscript 3, and I can’t offer any support for them.
- The game files are in a few different formats the AS2 games are as .fla’s and saved as Flash CS5, sometime CS6. The AS3 games are mostly made with Flash Builder 4.6 and changes in Flash Builder 4.7 brakes some of the games. You may need to debug. Some AS3 games were made with the Flash IDE.
- I have not included any fonts, I don’t own the rights to distribute fonts so you’ll find that they are missing, you’ll have to replace them yourself.
- These games are several years old, some as old as 6 years, the code in them reflects my abilities from the time the games were made, that includes all the problems and bugs in them.
- If you are going to use any of these games then I ask PLEASE at least leave in a small credit in the game, doesn’t have to be anything major, just a small bit of text thanking me or something.
- I have removed all music from the games.
- These games were originally setup for distribution through Mochimedia.com. I have removed my account ID and high scores variables, so they will no longer work. So if you want high scores to work, you’ll have to set that up your self. I will be leaving my versions of the games in the Mochiads system, yes, they are still active.
- These games use external actionscript files to help organise the code, these games are from a time when I coded on the timeline and this was a way of helping me organise it.
- There are no detailed comments, instructions on how the games work etc. You get what your given and its up to you to work it out.
- In these games I used Flash ‘Scenes’ to arrange the different screens of the game.
Questions and Answers
Why are you doing this Terry?
I don’t have the time or inclination to write tutorials on how to make games, but I can at least share the results of my own study and experimentation. My hope is that you may learn something from my work. These games are getting older now, and actionscript 2 is fast becoming an ancient language, so before it’s usefulness completely passes I want to start sharing some of them.
What can I do with these games?
My main intention with these is for the possibility of other want-to-be game makers to learn some of the techniques I’ve used in the past for making games. BUT … I fully understand that by releasing the source code on the net it opens them for people to pretty much do what they like. So keeping that in mind I’ve decided you can do whatever you like with them. If you want to put ads in them and publish them through Mochiads, Kongregate or whatever, feel free. If you want to rebrand them for your company, go ahead. If you are somehow able to publish them to mobile, go ahead. If you’re able to make some money from them, even better.
Where are the fonts and orginal assets?
Fonts and original art assets are not be included, you will either have to replace them or make your own.
Please be aware these games are my intellectual property, I came up with them, coded them, spent hours struggling over problem, bugs and design, so try and customise the games in someway if you are going to just republish them.
If this source code help you in any way, I’d love to know. Cheers!